Most Likely To Succeed

Big Changes, Everywhere.

This week our class watched a doc­u­men­tary called Most Like­ly to Suc­ceed. I was­n’t real­ly sure what to expect as I start­ed the film, but what I def­i­nite­ly did not expect was a com­plete per­spec­tive change to occur in just under an hour and a half.

The doc­u­men­tary began with an unset­tling reminder just how quick­ly our soci­ety is being launched into a tech­nol­o­gy-dom­i­nat­ed world. Com­put­ers are beat­ing peo­ple at their own game, and doing so with ease.

I found it almost eerie watch­ing footage from the 2011 Jeop­ardy spe­cial where the Jeop­ardy-play­ing AI super­com­put­er, “Wat­son”, beats the run­ning cham­pi­on, Ken Jen­nings, at his own game.

Pho­to by Pavel Dani­lyuk: https://www.pexels.com/photo/elderly-man-thinking-while-looking-at-a-chessboard-8438918/

Advance­ments in Technology.

It real­ly is a ter­ri­fy­ing con­cept to wrap your head around. We are see­ing it more and more every­day; robots, com­put­ers, and arti­fi­cial intel­li­gence tak­ing on var­i­ous tasks nor­mal­ly per­formed by human beings. Even in every­day house­hold life; it seems to be more com­mon than not to have your own robot­ic maid, a help­ful lit­tle friend who uses advanced pro­gram­ming to vac­cu­um floors all by itself.

Although I def­i­nite­ly find the fast-paced changes com­ing into our world intim­i­dat­ing, I should make it clear that I don’t believe all aspects of tech­no­log­i­cal advance­ment are bad. Just think about all the amaz­ing drone pho­tographs cap­tured by the Nation­al Geo­graph­ic team; these stun­ning images would have nev­er made it to human eyes if it was­n’t for the help of tech­nol­o­gy. I believe that when tech­nol­o­gy is used in an appro­pri­ate man­ner it can yield amaz­ing results; but noth­ing amaz­ing comes with­out a price.

Change can be scary, and its dif­fi­cult to pre­dict exact­ly what kind of change soci­ety will under­go as tech­nol­o­gy con­tin­ues to advance. It seems to make life eas­i­er. Tech­nol­o­gy brings many ben­e­fits to soci­ety; it can relieve heavy work­loads, make work­ing from home a pos­si­bil­i­ty, cre­ate eas­i­er, faster com­mu­ni­ca­tion, and count­less of oth­er opportunities.

We saw this first hand dur­ing the COVID-19 pan­dem­ic. Tech­nol­o­gy was the #1 sup­port for the iso­la­tion expe­ri­enced by too many peo­ple. Zoom, Face­Time, and var­i­ous oth­er plat­forms bridged the com­mu­ni­ca­tion gap. Tech­nol­o­gy is chang­ing the world in ways we have nev­er seen before, and design­ing a soci­ety we have nev­er lived in before.

Arti­fi­cial Intelligence.

Per­son­al­ly, it already feels like we are liv­ing in an extreme­ly advanced soci­ety. Artif­i­cal intel­li­gence is every­where. The pop­u­lar social media plat­form, Tik­Tok, fea­tures an AI text-to-art gen­er­a­tor where beau­ti­ful abstract images are cre­at­ed from the user’s word input. I’ve seen ads for a web­site that offers online ther­a­peu­tic ser­vices using AI that rec­og­nizes facial expressions.

Last week I was hav­ing some tech­ni­cal issues with my cell­phone and decid­ed to check out my phone provider’s web­site. I was imme­di­ate­ly greet­ed by a “Hi! How can I help?” pop-up chat from the web­site’s AI cus­tomer sup­port. The lit­tle helper was pre-pro­grammed with pos­si­ble issues and res­o­lu­tions; I was able to fix my phone with­out even talk­ing to a human being.

It feels like more and more often that we are see­ing jobs tra­di­tion­al­ly done by humans being replaced by some sort of tech­nol­o­gy. The work­force we know and are famil­iar with will con­tin­ue to under­go dra­mat­ic trans­for­ma­tions as we pro­ceed down this path. To keep up with these great changes we are already see­ing in our econ­o­my, sig­nif­i­cant adap­ta­tions will need to occur every­where, even in the places where change has­n’t occurred in over 130 years

Ref­or­ma­tion of Education

I often find it dif­fi­cult to embrace new ways of doing things, espe­cial­ly when the old, famil­iar way has proven effec­tive. This seems to be the major ques­tion we are fac­ing today; with the con­stant evo­lu­tion of our soci­ety, will the tra­di­tion­al meth­ods of edu­ca­tion con­tin­ue to be effec­tive in prepar­ing chil­dren for the work­force, or will we need to adapt? In Most Like­ly to Suc­ceed, it was addressed that our tra­di­tion­al edu­ca­tion for­mat was designed to pro­duce an orga­nized, obe­di­ent work­force. This might not be what we need anymore.

Most Like­ly to Suc­ceed show­cas­es some of the adap­ta­tions that are already being imple­ment­ed in a high school locat­ed in San Diego, Cal­i­for­nia; High Tech High. My ini­tial reac­tion to this high school was def­i­nite­ly shock; I had nev­er seen any­thing like it before, and I was suprised the school was even allowed to oper­ate. This learn­ing envi­ron­ment mod­eled edu­ca­tion in a way it has nev­er been done before. No sep­a­rate class­es for dif­fer­ent con­tent, no set instruc­tion­al peri­ods, no textbooks?

Stu­dent-Cen­tered Class­rooms & Soft Skills.

High Tech High demon­strates the effec­tive­ness of a stu­dent-cen­tered class­room, where stu­dents are giv­en the oppor­tu­ni­ty to take respon­si­bil­i­ty for their own learn­ing, and grow in ways a tra­di­tion­al class­room might not offer. This was my first time hear­ing about ‘soft skills’, and I love the idea of focus­ing on help­ing stu­dents to devel­op these. I believe these spe­cif­ic skills (that until now I under­stood to be per­son­al­i­ty traits) such as con­fi­dence, the abil­i­ty to work effi­cient­ly alone or in a group, work eth­ic, and even crit­i­cal think­ing are so impor­tant to have while pur­su­ing high­er edu­ca­tion, but often­times they are also essen­tial for being suc­cess­ful in the workforce. 

The val­ue that a stu­dent-cen­tered class­room holds in the devel­op­ment of these skills is exem­pli­fied by one of the stu­dents high­light­ed in the film, Saman­tha. Saman­tha’s devel­op­ment through­out the film was one of the most pow­er­ful aspects in my opin­ion. When we first see Saman­tha, she is extreme­ly shy and speaks very qui­et­ly. As the doc­u­men­tary con­tin­ues we see Saman­tha vol­un­teer­ing for a lead­er­ship role in her group project, and as she set­tles into her new role, her con­fi­dence sky-rock­ets. I think this spe­cif­ic exam­ple is so impor­tant to keep in mind as a future teacher; even though Saman­tha start­ed out as the qui­et kid, con­tent to stay in her 

com­fort zone, her con­fi­dence and abil­i­ty grew expo­nen­tial­ly once she was giv­en the oppor­tu­ni­ty to make her own deci­sions. The film fea­tures anoth­er stu­den­t’s devel­op­ment of soft skills, per­se­ver­ance, as he nav­i­gates his way through a project of his choice. He is shown learn­ing through tri­al and error through­out the film, and unfor­tu­nate­ly does not fin­ish his project in time for the exhi­bi­tion. At his end-of-year inter­view, he reflects on his project and acknowl­edges his choic­es and their impact on his final prod­uct. After the cred­its, the stu­dent is shown work­ing on his project over sum­mer break with his teacher, and final­ly fin­ish­es it.

You may also like...

1 response

1. Jake says:

This is unbe­liev­ably pro­fes­sion­al. Well done!