A Slight Adjustment… ASL for Elementary Students

Head­ing into my sixth week of study­ing the basics of Amer­i­can Sign Lan­guage, I’ve devel­oped a new idea that I just can’t seem to shake. After explor­ing dif­fer­ent ways teach­ers use ASL in the class­room last week, I’ve been con­tem­plat­ing how I can pre­pare myself to actu­al­ly imple­ment these ideas in my future class­room. I did­n’t want to entire­ly aban­don my ini­tial inquiry project; I have already gained a lot of valu­able infor­ma­tion and I still have a long way to go. Unfor­tu­nate­ly for my ini­tial research top­ic, I have a dif­fi­cult time dis­miss­ing new ideas, espe­cial­ly when I can see poten­tial val­ue in them.

Start­ing this week, my blog posts are going to look a lit­tle bit dif­fer­ent. Instead of doc­u­ment­ing a gen­er­al study on Amer­i­can Sign Lan­guage, my week­ly blog posts will fea­ture an aspect of ASL and some ideas on how I might imple­ment that in my future class­room. Mak­ing this small alter­ation to the way I am con­tin­u­ing my research will pro­vide me with new ideas, new knowl­edge, as well as help me grow as an edu­ca­tor. My goal is to not only con­tin­ue learn­ing how to speak this valu­able lan­guage, but to also cre­ate a resource that myself and oth­er future-teach­ers can refer to. 

Image by Kida­ha from Pix­abay

I want­ed to start this series with one of the first con­cepts all ele­men­tary stu­dents learn in school; the alpha­bet. I touched briefly on this top­ic in my last post, but I want to give it the atten­tion it deserves. Intro­duc­ing the alpha­bet to ele­men­tary stu­dents using both spo­ken word and ASL is some­thing teach­ers can do pret­ty eas­i­ly. The effort-to-reward ratio here seems pret­ty favourable. Pro­vid­ing stu­dents with a phys­i­cal rep­re­sen­ta­tion of each let­ter (which most of the time resem­bles the writ­ten appear­ance of the let­ter) will open up more oppor­tu­ni­ties for stu­dents to process and remem­ber the dif­fer­ent let­ters of the alpha­bet. Here’s how I would do it…

Poster cre­at­ed on Can­va

What comes to mind when you think about learn­ing the alpha­bet? For most peo­ple, includ­ing myself, the let­ters of the alpha­bet were learned through a song. This is already a real­ly great teach­ing strat­e­gy, and there are gen­er­a­tions of learn­ers that can attest to this. As teach­ers, (and adults in gen­er­al) when we are singing songs to and with chil­dren, we often use our hands to rep­re­sent mean­ing in songs. The “Itsy, Bit­sy Spi­der”, “The Wheels on the Bus”, “Head, Shoul­ders, Knees, and Toes” are all sol­id exam­ples of songs we sing to chil­dren, using phys­i­cal motion of our hands or bod­ies. The chil­dren are more engaged with the song, and they begin to learn how to repli­cate the motions. I think a sim­i­lar result could evolve from imple­ment­ing these hand motions to the alpha­bet. It would take a while for stu­den­t’s to mas­ter the ASL com­po­nents, but if a teacher were to remain con­sis­tent with their teach­ings, this could become a valu­able learn­ing oppor­tu­ni­ty for stu­dents. I would make sure to include a poster of the ASL alpha­bet in the class­room for stu­dents to refer to as well.

You may also like...