Inspiration for ASL in the Classroom

A Quick Update

This week I real­ly want­ed to focus on ASL com­mu­ni­ca­tion skills. Although I do feel like I am learn­ing, I want to make sure I am prepar­ing myself for words and phras­es that might come up in an actu­al con­ver­sa­tion. I decid­ed I want­ed to ded­i­cate my time this week to prac­tic­ing and mem­o­riz­ing parts of a conversation.

Reflect­ing on my progress this week, I do see some slight errors in the way that I sign cer­tain words and phras­es. Dur­ing my research have learned the impor­tance of facial expres­sions and body lan­guage while sign­ing, and I real­ize this is some­thing I will have to make sure I pay atten­tion to as I con­tin­ue with my learn­ing jour­ney. Ensur­ing I am using the cor­rect move­ments while sign­ing will help me com­mu­ni­cate clear­ly hope­ful­ly with­out caus­ing too much con­fu­sion. As stat­ed in an arti­cle about the ben­e­fits of kids learn­ing ASL, “when you fur­row your brоwѕ, tilt your hеаd, look in a par­tic­u­lar direc­tion, оr ori­ent your body in a num­ber of oth­er ways, уоu аrе adding оr chang­ing mеаn­ing in ASL” (“Sign Lan­guage for Kids”, n.d.).

ASL in the Classroom

I’m get­ting more excit­ed as I con­tin­ue to learn; I have already acquired so many lit­tle tricks that I can use in my class­room one day. One thing I know I would like to imple­ment in my future class­room is teach­ing the alpha­bet to stu­dents using both spo­ken lan­guage and sign lan­guage. I think teach­ing the alpha­bet in both spo­ken and sign lan­u­age will help stu­dents get a firmer grasp on the let­ters, as they would have a phys­i­cal rep­re­sen­ta­tion of each let­ter to refer to. This also could serve as an inspi­ra­tion for stu­dents to fur­ther pur­sue ASL! I would also like to make the reg­u­lar use of sign lan­guage some­thing of a class rit­u­al. I would make a habit of greet­ing my class “good morn­ing!” and “good bye!” in ASL every­day, as well as encour­age my stu­dents to accom­pa­ny their phras­es such as “please” and “thank you” with the appro­pri­ate sign language. 

The more I learn about Amer­i­can Sign Lan­guage, the more I see the val­ue in teach­ing it to chil­dren. ASL can be incor­po­rat­ed into every sin­gle school sub­ject, VERY eas­i­ly might I add. Mak­ing this slight mod­i­fi­ca­tion to the way we teach chil­dren can ben­e­fit the way stu­dents learn and com­mu­ni­cate in many dif­fer­ent ways. In addi­tion to pro­vid­ing stu­dents with a phys­i­cal rep­re­sen­ta­tion of let­ters, words, and phras­es, nor­mal­iz­ing the use of sign lan­guage in the class­room will pro­mote diver­si­ty and help to address acces­si­bil­i­ty issues in the class­room. It can also serve as a con­ver­sa­tion starter with stu­dents, teach­ing them that every­one in the class is equal, regard­less of ability/disability, and every­one deserves to speak and be heard.

ASL Kids, (n.d.), Sign Lan­guage for Kids, https://asl-kids.com/sign-language-for-kids/

You may also like...