A Change in Perspective

I’ve been pay­ing extra atten­tion late­ly to how easy it can be to get wrapped up in the sil­ly details of my own life. It hap­pens more often than I’d like to admit, but I think its impor­tant to acknowl­edge the real­i­ty of it. 

I think of how my per­cep­tion of the world changes when I’m stressed out or when I’m over­whelmed by home­work; most of the time I shrink into this invis­i­ble bub­ble con­sist­ing only of my own thoughts. Its dur­ing times like these when I almost for­get oth­er peo­ple have their own strug­gles they’re deal­ing with. 

Even­tu­al­ly, real­i­ty hits with a side serv­ing of guilt as I real­ize how self con­cerned I’ve been act­ing. Although I can’t speak for oth­ers, I am con­fi­dent my expe­ri­ence is atleast some­what universal.

When I’m wrapped up in my world of per­son­al issues and thoughts, it becomes dif­fi­cult to con­cern myself with the things oth­er peo­ple may be going through. 

This self-absorbed atti­tude I’ve caught myself demon­strat­ing reminds me of a short film I watched last year called Shop ‘Til You Drop: The Cri­sis of Con­sumerism. One of the issues dis­cussed in this film is the way our soci­ety often turns a blind eye to seri­ous issues occur­ing in places we don’t live. 

They refer to it as “The Sun­ny Day Syn­drome” (Room, Shop ‘Til You Drop: The Cri­sis of Con­sumerism). The Sun­ny Day Syn­drome refers to the way you can look out­side and see noth­ing except a per­fect day; a day so per­fect you can’t imag­ine even com­pre­hend the fact that a prob­lem might be occur­ing elsewhere.

I know this all seems very off-top­ic from my usu­al inquiry posts, but bear with me here. When things in our lives are going well, we often take a lot of it for grant­ed. I can rat­tle off an exten­sive list of the things I take for grant­ed on a dai­ly basis. 

I have some­where to live, I have access to heat, I have clean drink­ing water and hot water to show­er, I have access to dai­ly meals, I have a ful­ly func­tion­ing body that does­n’t lim­it me, I have friends and fam­i­ly I can talk to, I can hear them talk­ing to me. There it is.

This is some­thing I want to make a point of dicussing with my future stu­dents. Even if every­thing in our lives is going per­fect, it does­n’t mean that we should ignore the fact that oth­er peo­ple might be strug­gling and need our help. 

Com­pas­sion and altru­ism are val­ues I want to encour­age any chance that I get. Bring­ing Amer­i­can Sign Lan­guage into my class­room is a small way I can start doing that. 

Teach­ing stu­dents the impor­tance of car­ing for oth­ers and giv­ing them a foun­da­tion to start mak­ing a friend­lier world for those who are not as priv­i­leged is some­thing I would be proud to accom­plish as an educator.

Brock­hoff, G. (Direc­tor). (2009). Shop ‘Til You Drop: The Cri­sis of Con­sumerism [Film]. The Media Edu­ca­tion Foundation.

You may also like...

1 response

1. akostiuk says:

This is such a valu­able point to make and very fit­ting for your explo­ration with ASL and think­ing about your future classroom!