Makerspaces!!!

A Boost in Creativity

This week our class was intro­duced to a new way teach­ers can help their stu­dents exer­cise their cre­ativ­i­ty and learn new skills: pro­vid­ing a mak­er­space. Before this week, I did­n’t even know this con­cept exist­ed. I was­n’t sure how these spaces would work real­is­ti­cal­ly in a class­room, but after spend­ing some time research­ing and vis­it­ing a real mak­er­space, I’m all in.

Introducing New Technology to Students

As I nav­i­gate through this course, I am learn­ing I have quite the pas­sion for tech­nol­o­gy. I love find­ing new ways to use tech, and using online tools comes quite nat­u­ral­ly to me. I’ve been think­ing about how I might use these new-found skills as a teacher one day. Used in the right way, tech­nol­o­gy can pro­vide a huge advan­tage for teach­ers, but tech is nev­er per­fect and there are many snags you might run into. I expe­ri­enced this first hand dur­ing our In-Situ at Gor­dan Ter­race Ele­men­tary School last Tues­day. Our class was tasked with teach­ing first grade stu­dents how to use the Epic!Books web­site to inter­act with read­ing mate­ri­als online. I famil­iar­ized myself with the web­site the week pri­or and I was ful­ly pre­pared to teach these stu­dents how to use it, or atleast I thought I was.

This is where the down­sides of tech­nol­o­gy come into play. It did­n’t mat­ter how pre­pared I felt, how well I knew the mate­r­i­al, or how much I prac­ticed the pre­sen­ta­tion; it all came down to whether or not the tech­nol­o­gy would ful­fill it’s end of the deal — spoil­er alert: it did­n’t. To intro­duce the first graders to Epic!, we each used a lap­top belong­ing to the school. While a class set of lap­tops is an amaz­ing resource to have access to, they require a lit­tle bit of atten­tion to remain use­ful. Each lap­top must be indi­vid­u­al­ly pow­ered up, logged-in, logged-off, and plugged back into a charg­ing port after use. I imme­di­ate­ly ran into a prob­lem after select­ing one.

I learned very quick­ly why it is nev­er a good idea to ful­ly rely on tech­nol­o­gy for your lessons. Instead of jump­ing right into the activ­i­ty, I had to spend a sig­nif­i­cant chunk of valu­able teach­ing time wait­ing for our com­put­er to load. I felt a sense of pan­ic; I did­n’t expect this and I def­i­nite­ly did not pre­pare for 15 min­utes of tech­ni­cal dif­fi­cul­ties. I spent this time talk­ing with the two stu­dents I was assigned to. I asked about their favourite ani­mals, colours, movies, and their favourite things to learn about. Luck­i­ly the time was­n’t a com­plete waste, as we used it to find a com­mon inter­est in pup­pies- which was the book top­ic we searched for when our com­put­er final­ly loaded. 

Although the tech­ni­cal dif­fi­cul­ties I expe­ri­enced last week were frus­trat­ing, they did not sway my opin­ion on the val­ue of tech­nol­o­gy’s role in edu­ca­tion. The two stu­dents I worked with were ful­ly engaged read­ing about pup­pies. We talked about the dif­fer­ent breeds, colours, and sizes of the pup­pies we read about, and they both chirped in often with con­nec­tions about their own pets and expe­ri­ences. They were excit­ed to inter­act with the tech­nol­o­gy and use the touch-pad to flip through pages, and when they fin­ished a book they were eager to look through the “read next” recommendations.

Their excite­ment to inter­act with the web­site using the lap­top seemed to match up with their inter­est in the read­ing mate­ri­als. They could zoom in on pic­tures, click on the words they did­n’t know, and even have the sto­ry read itself out­loud. I not­ed this and won­dered if the reac­tion and engage­ment would increase if using a touch­screen gad­get. This made me won­der, would it be more ben­e­fi­cial to invest in a class set of lap­tops or iPads/tablets?

Technology in the Classroom

Would you rather have a class set of lap­tops or iPads/tablets?
Select the one you would rather have access to.

Makerspaces
Pho­to by pepe nero on Unsplash

Some­thing I noticed this week was the lev­el of engage­ment the stu­dents demon­strat­ed when being able to work in a hands-on man­ner with new tech­nol­o­gy. It caused a spike of inter­est in the stu­dents, even though all we were doing was read­ing. They were excit­ed to try some­thing new, which brings us to the top­ic of mak­er­spaces. Dur­ing our vis­it to Gor­dan Ter­race Ele­men­tary, we were giv­en the oppor­tu­ni­ty to explore their brand new mak­er­space. This was my first time being inside a mak­er­space, and almost imme­di­ate­ly my brain start­ing pro­duc­ing ideas for how I can work some of this into my future classroom.

What is a Makerspace?

mak­er­space noun

mak·​ er·​ space 

vari­ants or less com­mon­ly mak­er space

a com­mu­nal pub­lic work­shop in which mak­ers can work on small per­son­al projects

(Mer­ri­am-Web­ster, n.d.)

I thought a lot about how I can use this new knowl­edge, and I decid­ed I would like to take some of the fea­tures of a mak­er­space and imple­ment them into my class­room — a mak­er­corner. I think its impor­tant to pro­vide stu­dents with the oppor­tu­ni­ty to exper­i­ment with new things, and hav­ing those things in your class­room is a great way to start. I would encour­age my stu­dents to take on a free inquiry-style project, and pro­vide them with the mate­ri­als, tech­nol­o­gy, and space to do so.

Soft Skills Development

The oppor­tu­ni­ties for mak­er­spaces seem to be end­less, and so do the ben­e­fits. I found the con­cept of mak­er­spaces to be close­ly con­nect­ed to some of the top­ics dicussed in the Most Like­ly to Suc­ceed doc­u­men­tary. Pro­vid­ing a des­ig­nat­ed area for stu­dents to work on projects of their own inter­est is bound to sup­port the devel­op­ment of soft skills. Cre­ative think­ing, per­se­ver­ance, con­fi­dence, and crit­i­cal think­ing are all skills stu­dents must employ at some point while work­shop­ping their projects. These spaces can also serve as an area where stu­dents can find a peace­ful moment in their day and destress while work­ing on a project they enjoy. This also opens the door for stu­dents to explore new areas of inter­est, and find dif­fer­ent passions.

Mer­ri­am-Web­ster. (n.d.). Mak­er­space. In Merriam-Webster.com dic­tio­nary. Retrieved Octo­ber 13, 2022, from https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/makerspace

You may also like...