All About Me: The ASL Project

Well, we have offi­cial­ly made it to the end to my learn­ing jour­ney. Over the past few weeks I have col­lect­ed lots of tools, strate­gies, and ideas for bring­ing ASL into my future class­room, and I want­ed to fin­ish it off with some­thing big. Through­out my more recent posts, I’ve talked about ways to inte­grate mini ASL lessons into my reg­u­lar class con­tent; but this project is going to have more of an ASL-focused approach.

As a way to cel­e­brate and demon­strate every­thing I have learned over the semes­ter, I have cre­at­ed an Amer­i­can Sign Lan­guage-focused project I hope to use in my future class­room one day. Although ‘All About Me’ projects are usu­al­ly a great thing to imple­ment ear­ly on in the school year as a way to get to know your stu­dents, I would intro­duce this project to my class near the end of the year. I would do this because I want my stu­dents to have a lit­tle bit of back­ground knowl­edge with ASL before tak­ing on a big project like this. So, I would intro­duce this project to my class after they have had ade­quate time to learn, devel­op, and prac­tice their ASL vocab­u­lary. I’m antic­i­pat­ing this project to take 7–10 days to com­plete, giv­ing stu­dents about an hour each day to work on it. Although this project could prob­a­bly be com­plet­ed in 3–5 days, I chose the longer time­line because I want my stu­dents to engage mean­ing­ful­ly with the con­tent and work on build­ing their vocab­u­lary and confidence.

A Quick Reality Check

One aspect of this project I am real­ly excit­ed about is the oppor­tu­ni­ty it gives to imple­ment some tech­nol­o­gy in the class­room. Before I get into it, I do feel inclined to acknowl­edge the prob­a­bil­i­ty of this project work­ing in an actu­al class. As this is all hypo­thet­i­cal at the moment, some of the tech­nol­o­gy includ­ed in this project may seem unlike­ly for our local school dis­tricts — high­ly depend­ing on bud­gets and resources. For now, I am sim­ply an excit­ed teacher-in-train­ing with a real­ly big idea- so I am plan­ning this project exact­ly the way I want to. With that said and done, let’s get into it!

This first detail is prob­a­bly what I am the most excit­ed about. I am plan­ning for the entire­ty of this project to be doc­u­ment­ed on See­saw. I loved See­saw the sec­ond I saw it and I am so excit­ed to get to use it in a class­room. The most appeal­ing aspect of this plat­form to me is how easy it is to upload and view con­tent, as both a stu­dent and a teacher. I also think hav­ing the abil­i­ty to share stu­dents’ learn­ing with their fam­i­lies in such a straight­for­ward and easy way is an amaz­ing thing and should absolute­ly be tak­en advan­tage of. Each day of this project, the class will be giv­en one hour to work on their assigned tasks. Depend­ing on stu­dents’ indi­vid­ual progress, this time might be spent writ­ing, research­ing, prac­tic­ing ASL, ect. I expect stu­dents to work at their own pace for this project, and focus on cre­at­ing some­thing they are proud of. At the end of the work­ing peri­od, each stu­dent will upload either a pho­to, video, voice memo, or piece of writ­ing to doc­u­ment the progress they made that day. As stu­dents send in their dai­ly updates, they will be cre­at­ing a dig­i­tal col­lec­tion of their learn­ing on their indi­vid­ual See­saw journals. 

Step 1: About Me & Introduction to Seesaw

The first com­po­nent of this project is based around lit­er­ary and lan­guage. Stu­dents will be intro­duced to the project with an About Me work­sheet that will lat­er serve as a ref­er­ence for their ASL research. The work­sheet will require stu­dents to answer the fol­low­ing ques­tions in point form:

• What is your name? 
  • How old are you? 
  • Where did you grow up?
  • Do you have any sib­lings? How many? What are their names?
  • Do you have any pets? What kind? What is your pet(s)’ name?
  • What is your favourite thing to do? Why?
Pho­to by San­ti Vedrí on Unsplash

As my class works on fill­ing out their work­sheets, I would use this time to ensure each of the stu­dents are able to login to their own See­saw accounts. When the work­sheets are com­plet­ed, I would run a See­saw tuto­r­i­al activ­i­ty with the class — each stu­dent fol­low­ing along with their class iPad. I would make sure each stu­dent is com­fort­able with log­ging in, view­ing their jour­nals, and upload­ing media. When the class is com­fort­able using See­saw, I would have each stu­dent upload an image of their About Me work­sheets to their dig­i­tal journals.

Step 2: Research & Practice

The sec­ond part of their project will require stu­dents to take their About Me work­sheets and work on trans­lat­ing as much of it as they can into Amer­i­can Sign Lan­guage. For this part of the project, I would intro­duce my stu­dents to some of the resources I found dur­ing this Free Inquiry project. I would encour­age my stu­dents to use the Hand­Speak dic­tio­nary and The ASL App (which I would have down­loaded onto the class iPads) to research some of their words.

Stu­dents can also use the pro­vid­ed resources to look up YouTube tuto­ri­als for spe­cif­ic words and phras­es dur­ing their work block. At this time dur­ing the project, I would ask stu­dents to take a video of them­selves sign­ing the words they have learned and upload it to their jour­nals. Their sub­mis­sions to their See­saw jour­nals can also include pic­tures, reflec­tions, draw­ings, notes, and any­thing else that helps them remem­ber what they learned today. I would ask stu­dents who are at the research step of their project to upload videos of them­selves answer­ing the ques­tions on their work­sheets: fin­ger­spelling their name, sign­ing their age, fin­ger­spelling the town they grew up in, ect.

Step 3: Putting it All Together

I expect Step 2 of this project to take a few days to com­plete. Stu­dents will spend their dai­ly work peri­ods research­ing and prac­tic­ing the ASL trans­la­tion of the answers they pro­vid­ed on their About Me work­sheets. I want stu­dents to real­ly take their time on this part and focus on adding these new words to their vocab­u­lary. The goal here is for stu­dents to be able to com­mu­ni­cate dif­fer­ent aspects of them­selves in Amer­i­can Sign Lan­guage with­out refer­ring to a cheat sheet, so I expect and encour­age stu­dents to take all the time they need for this part. 

Pho­to by CDC on Unsplash
Graph­ic cre­at­ed using Can­va.

Step 3 of this project will be for stu­dents to put togeth­er every­thing they have learned into a series of video clips on their dig­i­tal jour­nals. At this point, their jour­nals should have a col­lec­tion of dif­fer­ent types of media to rep­re­sent their learn­ing. This is the first por­tion of the project I will assess stu­dents on, grad­ing stu­dents’ indi­vid­ual engage­ment and progress with the project. For the final com­po­nent, I will add prompt ques­tions as assign­ments for stu­dents to upload their cor­re­spond­ing video to as their answer. The ques­tions assigned on See­saw will be the same ques­tions asked in stu­dents’ orig­i­nal About Me work­sheets, only this time their respons­es will be in Amer­i­can Sign Language. 

You may also like...

1 response

1. akostiuk says:

Alan­nah, this project is awe­some! And total­ly doable! I do not think it is far-fetched at all and think it would be such an incred­i­ble way for stu­dents to show­case their learn­ing with ASL. The video cre­at­ed would also serve as a resource for them to con­tin­ue to prac­tice their skills. Great to see how this all came together!