Educational Escape Rooms

I LOVE escape rooms. I was very excit­ed this week to dive into the top­ic and try my hand at cre­at­ing my own. I’m usu­al­ly the type of per­son who skips past tuto­ri­als and attempts to fig­ure things out inde­pen­dent­ly, but I am not very con­fi­dent with Google Slides and I real­ly want­ed to make sure I was get­ting all the infor­ma­tion avail­able to me. I watched the video tuto­r­i­al on Youtube and imme­di­ate­ly thanked myself for tak­ing the time to watch it; the video con­tained so many lit­tle tips and tricks that would have tak­en me hours to fig­ure out on my own! After I became com­fort­able using the pro­gram, it was pret­ty easy to piece togeth­er all the lit­tle clues and riddles.

Pho­to by Mitchell Luo on Unsplash

I had ALOT of fun cre­at­ing this project. The only com­plaint I have is how time con­sum­ing it was to cre­ate. Even after I became com­fort­able using Google Slides, brain­storm­ing dif­fer­ent hints and keep­ing every­thing orga­nized remained extreme­ly time-con­sum­ing. The escape room I cre­at­ed has six diff­fer­ent tasks to com­plete before you can escape; if I had more avail­able time I could def­i­nite­ly cre­ate more clues and prob­lems stu­dents have to solve before they are able to escape. I can see myself poten­tial­ly using this in my future class­room, depend­ing on the amount of prep time I had. I would use an escape room sim­i­lar to the one I cre­at­ed below as a test-review/prep tool, ensur­ing all the hints are rel­e­vant to the mate­r­i­al stu­dents are cur­rent­ly learn­ing- not just ran­dom pieces of knowl­edge. I can also see this as being a stu­dent-cre­at­ed project (for old­er grades), where stu­dents choose a top­ic to research and base their hints around their cho­sen topic.

Make sure to check out my escape room (by click­ing the but­ton — or click the link below the image) and let me know what you think!

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1C0t-6l45iEAGK8RcoNBBMUOlRjhi4AaSYtZwleGFy20/edit?usp=sharing

You may also like...

1 response

1. akostiuk says:

Alan­nah! Your Escape Room is AMAZING! I love that you took the time to cre­ate this — so many fun pos­si­bil­i­ties! If you have the chance to try some­thing like this with a future class I would love to hear about it 🙂